March 25, 2011

Mark Rothko


I am loving Mark Rothko's art right now.  I saw an original of his in L.A. and found myself staring into the block of colors.  Why was I so intrigued by a solid block of color with no people, landscape, or text.....because it let my mind relax and be inspired by color at the same time!  Every one of his paintings reminds me of paint swatches from House Beautiful Magazine.  Do you know what I'm talking about ladies, how the mag showcases paint colors like this.....

House Beautiful


Totally similar right?!  If you know anything about me you know how much I love paint colors and swatches.  One drawer in my entry way dresser is filled with paint swatches with notes written on them, dorky huh?

I  think I want to purchase two of his paintings and put them side by side on an empty wall I have.  I like how his art makes such a statement but still neutral and not busy. 

Happy Friday,
Heather

1 comment:

  1. Ooo. I do know the House Beautiful spread you are talking about. We should about that crazy, big house done by Myra Hoefer. Did you see the butterflies made of soda cans on the wall? Gotta love Mark Rothko too!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete